If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

A Time to Lose

I normally avoid putting up any personal details about my life. Although my real-life self is not much different than my online persona, I prefer to keep my family and my home life as private as possible. Today, however, I'm going to deviate a little from my standard operating procedure because a quasi-new life goal will impact my life as a poker player as well.

A couple years ago, I announced that I was intending on dropping some weight. Like many poker bloggers, I suffer from a healthy appetite and a sedentary lifestyle. I wish I could use the "big boned" defense but we all know that there is no such thing. Instead, poutine and ice cream combined forces in a quick and brutal fight against my bathroom scale.

Luckily, all is not lost. Back in January 2006, I had 55 pounds to lose to get myself down to a 25 BMI. Unfortunately, my wife's pregnancy, the stress of house shopping, and the birth of my first son all occurred in 2006 and put any hopes of weight loss on hold. It's hard to worry about eating healthy when you've got a lot on your plate...especially when that plate is filled with delicious fries, cheese curds, and gravy.

In January 2007, I resolved to lose not only the original 55 lbs. but also the extra 10 lbs. that had managed to tag along for the ride. 2007 was going to be different! And then my wife got pregnant, my second son was born, and I quietly got fatter.

A couple months ago, I'd managed to balloon up to a BMI of 35. That's a pretty big number and 245 lbs. is pretty heavy for a guy who's barely 5'10". Since then, I've actually managed to drop 18 lbs. without really trying. I stopped eating regular potato chips and focused on the "baked" varieties of potato chips, corn chips, and rice chips. I also swapped out my typical ice cream with frozen yogurt and low-fat ice cream bars. For the record, the ice cream bars were simply a means of controlling my portion size and not because I believe that "low-fat" ice cream is all that great for me. For what it's worth, my usual portion size for ice cream lies anywhere in the one to three cup size depending on the flavour.

Today I find myself riding a 33.1 BMI at a weight of 228 lbs. If my doctor is to believed (and she is), I should try to get below 175 lbs. in order to be healthy. I'll aim for 174 lbs. and see how things look then.

So what does all this have to do with poker? My doctor told me that exercising 5 days a week is what's needed to get my lazy butt healthy and back in shape. I'll be hitting my exercise bike as much as possible in an attempt to re-sexify myself in my wife's eyes. And every minute spent on the bike will be a minute spent playing online poker. SNGs, Hold'em, Omaha, or whatever: gambling and sweating will become a nightly event at my place.

And though I hope that my bankroll's growth will be inversely proportional to my weight, my main concern is the weight. It's time to take ownership of my body and do my best to stick around for my family's sake.

But if I can get rich doing it, I'd be cool with that too!

4 comments:

joxum (Denmark) said...

Best of luck on that new project.

In addition to looking sexier to your wife, you'll also find that concentration and focus at the table will improve with your fitness level.

/j.

Klopzi said...

I'm not sure if the extra-concentration bit applies if you're playing poker while on the bike. But we'll find out tonight if I can finally get off my lazy butt and jump on the exercise bike.

kurokitty said...

I've thought about converting my regular bike into an exercise bike for when I play. But I've also found that it doesn't take much time to stop the games and go out for a run or walk or whatever. The good games will always be there.

Klopzi said...

For me, I just need to be doing something when I exercise. And that something has be more than just watching TV. I've found that video games or poker both serve my exercising needs quite well.

I'm hoping that forcing myself to exercise and forcing myself to play poker will both pay off in the long run.