If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

Father's Day!

I'm really looking forward to this weekend. Why? Father's Day! Last year, I didn't quite appreciate how blessed an occasion it is for fathers around the world. It's been a long year. I love my kids to death and my wife definitely does the bulk of the work around house. Still, it'll be nice to enjoy a day that celebrates me and my role as a dad.

I'd like to say that my weekend involves plans to play poker. I'm just not sure how willing I'll be to spend hours hunched over a laptop and lose money. Instead, I'll be focusing on some of my other vices: drinks, food, and video games. And if the kids cooperate, I may get to sleep-in on Saturday morning; this, in and of itself, is cause for much excitement on my part.

On the "gift" front, my wife asked me if I wanted a big screen TV (42" Sony 1080p LCD). Although a new TV sounds good in theory, it's really not practical to spend that much money on something that we wouldn't use very often. I never thought I'd see the day when I didn't want an HDTV-enabled television in the house. The honest truth is that we don't watch much TV. And the TV we do watch doesn't need to be in high-def.

My wife was also considering buying me Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures. A great gift, to be sure; however, it's not something that I'd want her buying for full price. I guess I've just gotten extremely cheap now that I'm not playing quite as much poker. Unless I manage to pull together some big wins, I've only got $2K in my bankroll to cover any and all hobby-related expenses for the rest of my life. Although gifts technically fall outside the scope of bankrolled hobbies, I've gotten used to being pretty selective.

Besides not playing poker, I've been playing Eternal Sonata for the Xbox 360. It's a Japanese-flavoured RPG about Frederic Chopin (the pianist) journeying through a vivid dream world filled with loyal friends, beautiful vistas, and dangerous enemies. Here's Eternal Sonata's entry from Wikipedia:

The game is centered around the classical pianist and composer Frédéric Chopin, who died of tuberculosis at the age of 39. The story envisions a fictional world dreamed by Chopin during his last hours that is influenced by Chopin's life and music, and in which he himself is a playable character, among others. The game features a selection of Chopin's compositions played by pianist Stanislav Bunin, though most of the in-game music was composed by Motoi Sakuraba. The game's battle system centers around musical elements and character-unique special attacks. Light and darkness plays a part in the appearance and abilities of enemies on the battlefield, as well as the types of magic that can be cast.
The game is pretty damned strange. But I've always liked that about J-RPGs. In fact, I spent a good ten minutes last night watching a cutscene that used picture slides and text to describe Chopin's friendship with the romance novelist George Sand (nom de plume of female writer Aurore Dupin) in early 19th France. I've never seen anything so bizarre in a video game in my entire life. It was pretty gay but also pretty cool to see the game's developers put their matzah balls on the line with such a bizarre interlude in the game.

If I do end up hitting the exercise bike this weekend, I will play a little $50 NLHE or $100 NLHE to pass the time. Who knows - maybe a hot streak is right around the corner? Other than that, it'll be a weekend of food and fun with my wife and kids. I'll be putting up a couple advertising posts tomorrow; I'm looking to pick up a copy of Lost Odyssey for myself and I no longer play enough poker to count on my rakeback income to pay for it. I'll be back on Monday to talk about my weekend and some of the poker that I may or may not have played.

Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there! For everyone else, have a great weekend!

--

PS:
TOTAL WEIGHT LOST: 6 lbs.
TOTAL MONEY WON: $0

2 comments:

Pud's Poker said...

Happy Father's Day from one dad to another!

I love the Japanese RPG, would love to give that one ago if I ever get around to buying an Xbox!

Klopzi said...

Thanks! Happy Father's day to you too.

Yep, the Xbox 360 is really picking up the slack in the RPG and J-RPG market. Good to see someone doing something about it since the PS3 is obviously trying to promote some of its bigger titles at this point in time. Microsoft has built up enough of a customer base that they can take some chances with the games they choose to allow on the 360.

And it's nice to see Japanese developers embracing the 360 as their development platform of choice.