If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

Who's the donkey?

I actually played poker this weekend! I wasn't sure if I'd find the time but I did. I played about 400 hands or so. Not too bad given my current level of exhaustion. Even though things didn't turn out all that well for me (note to self: tight, straight-forward villains do NOT 4-bet out of position with anything less than AA or KK), I felt a little better about my game.

Here's one of the hands that played out on Saturday night. I've been trying to work on my turn and river aggression. Specifically, I've been trying to back up my c-bets with some turn bets as well. I'm finding that firing off a second bullet can sometimes steal me a pot or two against villains who habitually call c-bets on the flops.


Titan Poker 0.50/1.00, hand converted by the iPoker Converter at Talking-Poker

saw flop | saw showdown

Button ($324.60)
SB Hero ($51.00)
BB BB ($100.00)
UTG ($100.00)
UTG+1 ($117.55)
CO ($100.00)

Preflop: Hero is in the SB with K J
4 folds, Hero raises to 4.00, Villain calls 3.50.

(I'm still pretty new to the table. I've noticed that the Villain likes to play a few more pots than normal. Still, he's done nothing to really make me think he's a donkey.)

Flop (9.00) Q 5 5
Hero bets 6.00, Villain calls 6.00.

(This seems like a good place to c-bet. The Villain calls me a little hesitantly. I decide to fire off a second bullet on the turn unless an ace happens to hit the board.)

Turn (21.00) Q
Hero bets 12.00, Villain calls 12.00.

(I raised pre-flop and bet on the flop hoping to represent a pocket pair or a Qx-type hand. The Villain didn't seem to like the flop all that much so I figured a second bullet would take down the pot. When the Villain called again, I got a little worried.)

River (45.00) 7
Hero checks, Villain checks

(No draws have completed here. Given that the Villain called me on the both the flop and turn, I was pretty sure that I was up against a hand like a slowplayed A5, a pocket pair in the JJ-66 range, or a club draw. I decided to cut my losses and just check. I wonder if a jam on the river might have worked to push the Villain off his hand?)

Villain shows A T
Hero shows K J

Villain wins 45.00 with Two pair, Queens and Fives with a Ace for a kicker


After watching the Villain play a while longer, I'm still not convinced that a jam on the river would have worked. He was a bit of calling station. Then again, that doesn't mean much once he's seen the river card and is facing a large bet holding a busted draw or an ace-high. I'm still a little baffled by his call on the flop and the turn. I wouldn't make those calls myself unless I had reason to believe that I could take the pot away on the turn. If he's calling on the flop in order to steal the hand from me later, why not raise the turn? If he thought he beat, why call?

Am I simply guilty of trying to outhink a level one thinker? Do you fire a second bullet on the turn when the board's double-paired? As always, comments, nice or nasty, are welcomed.

4 comments:

SimpleStyle said...

I think you take the pot down on that board with a bigger bet on the turn most of the time. Something like $18 or $19 should do it, but the $12 bet is pretty weak, imo.

Klopzi said...

simplestyle -

Good advice. I guess bigger can be better, especially if you think your opponent might be weak and considering folding if faced with significant strength.

Thanks!

Alan aka RecessRampage said...

I would never fold on the turn in a blind v blind battle where your range is so big. repping a Q on a 5-5-Q-Q board is silly. You either have a Q or a 5 there or you have absolutely nothing. Call with A high is no brainer.

Klopzi said...

Alan -

Hoping that the Villain might put me on a 66-JJ or Qx was too much to hope for.

Maybe I've just been burned too many times calling bets on double-paired boards with only a naked ace.

Thanks for the input!