If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

What would you do?

I just finished up a short session at Full Tilt and PokerStars. I got a little lucky tonight and managed to scrape together a winning session. However, there is one hand that I played that seems both questionable and, at the same time, perfectly reasonable in hindsight.

And so I ask: what would you do?

Here's the set-up for the hand. You've only been at the table for one orbit. You have no reliable reads on anyone at the table including the Villain. You've seen him play a couple hands in the past orbit but neither of the hands went to showdown nor were they won by the Villain.


PokerStars, $1/$2 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 5 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

CO: $257.40
Hero (BTN): $100
Villain (SB): $162.25
BB: $288.75
UTG: $450.40

Pre-Flop: T K dealt to Hero (BTN)
2 folds, Hero raises to $8, Villain calls $7, BB folds

Flop: ($18) 8 7 9 (2 Players)
Villain checks, Hero bets $14, Villain raises to $154.25 and is All-In, Hero ??

Here's what I'd like to know:
  1. Fold or call?
  2. What possible range do you put your opponent on?
  3. Is there any sort of common $1/$2 NLHE tell on display in this hand?
  4. What do you think I did and am I a donkey?
I'll be back later today or tomorrow with more on this hand. Hopefully I'll see some good comments that will help me better understand this hand.

--

Oh, one last thing: Full Tilt's tables seem to hate PokerAce HUD. No matter how hard I try, I can't seem to position the numbers without obscuring my opponents' cards, stack sizes, or bets. I was playing two tables at once and I was forced to stop due the claustrophobic vibe I was getting from the tables.

If anyone out there could do me the courtesy of taking a screenshot of a good PokerAce HUD layout overlayed atop a Full Tilt table, I'd appreciate it. If possible, I'd like to see a screenshot sans avatars? I don't use the avatars myself due to a belief that Full Tilt's avatars will either distract me, steal my soul, and/or put me on insta-tilt.

Have a good one!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to say that I really don't like the fact that you've only sat down with 50BB. Imo, one should never play less than 100BB stacked. With that in mind, I don't think I would cbet this flop because you could easily get raised out of it, which is the case here.

Easy fold imo.

Zjak

Anonymous said...

Btw, I think he will often have a set here, 2 pair or a pair and a T.

I'm afraid you called and hit a J to win with a straight.

Zjak

Klopzi said...

Anonymous -

I always buy-in for 50 BB when I first sit down at a table of unknowns. If I like the table and find a few weak spots, I'll buy-in for more. But I like to keep my risk at a minimum until I'm sure that I can beat at least one player.

For what it's worth, the whole "never play short-stacked" is a bit of a fallacy. There are a number of advantages to playing with 50 BB.

I don't have a problem with my c-bet here. If I'd known that I was going to check-raised, I would have taken the free card. But I'll stick pick up the pot here quite often and I have redraws if I get called.

The range you put the Villain on is pretty close to what I was thinking. I'll post more about this either later today or tomorrow.

Alan aka RecessRampage said...

Easy fold. I wait for better spots to get my money in. I don't like to call off with a drawing hand. Only situation I would call here with a drawing hand is if I had Ac10c.

Klopzi said...

Alan -

I just posted the follow-up. I think the consensus is fold. If only I'd thought things through at the time.

One last question: what about KcTc in this spot?

Anonymous said...

Hi
I read the conclusion before i read this post & i thought nice suck out - its poker it happens - thanks for the $100. When i read the hand i cant believe you called. The little history you had on him showed he could fold & here he was betting at you. He had to have a bigger hand than you & you couldnt have had a lot of outs. Easy fold
Regards Darrus

Klopzi said...

Darrus -

Yep, I played it like a donkey.

Nobody said I was perfect!