If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

Weekend Poker

With another weekend upon us I'm looking forward to spending time with my family and playing some poker. I've been pretty happy with my decision to stick with Full Tilt and PokerStars as my two regular sites. But I have to admit that it's taking me a while to get used to Full Tilt.

The games at Full Tilt are much faster than those at Stars. I'm used to playing a couple tables at a time and doing other things besides. But I find the Full Tilt games are really keeping me on my toes. Who's the culprit: players or software? My guess is that the Ironman status promotion has got a lot of players trying to collect lots of FTPs in as little time as possible. If that's truly the case, it's no wonder the tables are fast!

Another thing that I've noticed is that the Full Tilt games seem a little tighter. I've played 260 hands at Full Tilt in the past couple nights. I've come in for a raise for forty of those hands. How many times would you think I've been to showdown? Just once. It was my very first hand at Full Tilt. I was dealt AA in the BB and the Button had KK. Badda-bing, badda-boom, I double up. Other than that one hand, I've very rarely made it to the flop when raising or re-raising. On the four occasions when my c-bet didn't take the pot down on the flop, I folded to either large check-raises or large turn bets from my opponents.

I don't mind tight games. I can grind out the small wins as well as most. But I don't find it as much fun as pushing all my chips into the pot and racing to the showdown for a large pot. I thought I'd get a little action last night when I pushed from the SB with various hand in raised pots with multiple callers. Alas, I got no action. But I shouldn't complain as those pots made me quite a bit of money anyway.

My last concern with the Full Tilt $1/$2 games is the amount of three-betting going on. Honestly - calm down people! Why not sit back and just cold call me? Let's see a flop. I was forced to fold Presto twice last night after getting three-bet both times. With no implied odds and without better reads to justify four-betting all-in, I had to lay down those fives.

Overall, I've made some money at Full Tilt this week. I've also made some money at Stars. I guess I should stop complaining and just play some poker. I'm really enjoying poker again. I generally find myself getting better from session to session despite a few choice blunders along the way. There are few hobbies quite as fulfilling as poker when things are going well.

I've increased the number of hands that I put in over the course of a week. My typical playing schedule sees me playing anywhere from thirty minutes to two hours a night. I typically start playing at around eleven o'clock, though I've been known to start as early as ten o'clock or as late as midnight. I really hope that the extra hands will help me improve that much quicker. I've still got a ways to go before I can sit at the $5/$10 tables so I can't dawdle too much.

Before I go, I thought I'd post a hand. The Villain in this hand had been floating me for the past forty-five minutes. He'd pushed me off a number of hands and I'd been waiting for a chance to get my money back...and more. This hand was sweet revenge for me.


PokerStars, $1/$2 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 5 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

SB: $708.75
BB: $343.55
Hero (UTG): $104.70
CO: $525.05
Villain (BTN): $393.05

Pre-Flop: A A dealt to Hero (UTG)
Hero raises to $8, CO folds, BTN calls $8, 2 folds

(Villain is a little loose and pretty aggressive. He's taken a liking to floating me and pushing me off my hands. I'm happy to see him call my raise and I plan on extracting maximum value and revenge from this hand. My stack-to-pot ratio (SPR) is sitting at around 5 going to the flop: I'm committed to this pot no matter what happens now.)

Flop: ($19) T 9 7 (2 Players)
Hero checks, BTN bets $10, Hero raises to $30, BTN calls $20

(The boards pretty coordinated and I usually bet in this spot. However, I know that the Villain loves to bet so I'm willing to take a chance that he'll bet. I instantly check-raise the Villain and he calls pretty quickly. He's a tricky player so I'm hoping that he projects that tricky image onto me. If he thinks I'm bluffing at holding a flush draw or holding an unimproved AK, I should be able to stack off on the turn no matter what card hits the board.)

Turn: ($79) 5 (2 Players)
Hero bets $20, BTN raises to $84, Hero calls $46.70 and is All-In

(Let's see if we can get all the money into the pot. When the Villain instantly puts me all-in, I happily stack off. I might be beat but I highly doubt it. The Villain plays enough hands and aggressvely enough that he could be overplaying a pair or a one card flush draw. In either case, I'm way ahead with my overpair and the A gives me a redraw to the nut flush if I'm flat wrong.)

River: ($212.40) J (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

Results: $212.40 Pot ($2 Rake)
Hero showed A A (a pair of Aces) and WON $210.40 (+$105.70 NET)
BTN mucked Q 7 and LOST (-$104.70 NET)

(I think the Villain overestimated his fold equity on the turn. He floated me light pre-flop and on the flop. He overplayed his hand by trying to be tricky. I'm convinced he put me on an unimproved Ax-type hand and thought that he could get me to fold.)


Have a great weekend everyone!

2 comments:

SimpleStyle said...

Nice read. Way to stick it to those floaters. Hate those guys!

Klopzi said...

simplestyle -

It is nice to get revenge, as infrequent as it may be.