If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

Spending Those Sklansky Bucks

I've managed to play a lot more poker this week than expected. I told myself that I'd keep hitting the tables until I put in a session or two where I feel that I played terribly. So far, I've managed to hold off on throwing too many chips away on donkey plays. I have, however, spent quite a few Sklansky Bucks this week and now find myself running a Sklansky Buck deficit as my expected winnings have fallen well below my actual winnings.

I made a few rough calls in the past few days that seemed pretty automatic at game time but turned out to be pretty wrong in my post-game analysis. Any time you put more money into the pot than justified by your equity in the hand, you lose Sklansky Bucks. I lost about twenty-one Sklansky Bucks last night when I bet my pocket Queens into my opponent's K4s on a K x x flop. I also paid him off on the river after he turned trip Kings and missed the check-raise after I withheld a bet in the name of pot-size control.

The other day, I pushed with second pair on the flop and happened to run into a maniac's AQ and top pair. Lost sixty Sklansky Bucks there. Still, I earned my Sklansky Bucks fair and square and I'll spend them wherever and whenever I want. If I feel like pushing bottom pair into the nuts, so be it.

All kidding aside, I have been pretty fortunate as of late. I've been winning enough coin tosses to put me ahead in most sessions. As it stands now, I think I'll be able to make the jump to the $1/$2 games in May as estimated. Although I hope to avoid an epic downswing, these things can happen and there's nothing I can do about it. And if all goes well, I may even try out the higher stakes tables a little sooner than expected. Of course, short-term variance swings both ways and a little hot streak can turn cold quite quickly.

I did manage to hit a spot of bad luck last night at Stars. I got it all in pre-flop with another guy while holding AA. When we got to showdown, the Villain showed his own pair of rockets. They were not as nice as mine but PokerStars' software doesn't care about aesthetics as much as it should and split the pot anyway. I'd call support but I don't want to get banned before I've had the chance to play the last 200 hours required to earn myself a brand new iPod Nano from the FPP Store.

I've put in just over 2,000 hands during the first week of February and I hope to put in a little more over the weekend. I tend to play more when I'm winning and quit when I'm losing. If I can maintain a little streak, I could potentially put in another 1,000 hands over the weekend though sleepless nights and restless kids could see me play far less than that. My wife seems a much more encouraging of my poker now that I've started to play better and make more money. Then again, my wife is a hallmark example for all wives who's husbands play poker. She understands the game, knows how I play, helps me handle tilt and variance, and honestly believes that I have the drive and skills necessary to make a real go at this thing. It's not even the money that she cares about since she knows the purpose behind my bankroll and understands that I need money to make money. I also think she's just happy to hear that I've rekindled my passion for the game and seem so driven to succeed.

Before I go, I just wanted to thank RecessRampage for stopping by yesterday. He was kind enough to point out that rising to the level of $5/$10 NL hold'em over the span of a one year period is definitely achievable. Perhaps not by someone like me with family and a whole slew of time-consuming obligations but attainable nonetheless.

Still, I think I owe it to myself, my wife, my kids, my readers, and my sponsors to go out there and do my very best. I've invested more time in poker (and in this site) than anything else I've ever set out to do It's helped my family out at times and it's also cost us in terms of the amount of time that I have to spend with friends and family. But if things work out, it may just all be worth it.

Have a great weekend everyone!

2 comments:

freeroller said...

Nice to see that you already went this far and run so good at the moment. I wish you all the best to keep your momentum up.
Think about how you started with freerolls a few years ago!

Klopzi said...

Didn't quite start with freerolls, but close enough if you consider the 12 cent SNGs I played.

Thanks for stopping by.