If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

Setting My Sights

No poker for me last night. Instead, I chose to play a bit of Mass Effect after having a long day at work. I am going to play tonight at Titan Poker's $100 NL tables while watching some TV with my wife. Of course, all plans are subsequent to change depending on the volatile mood swings of my youngest son.

Even though I've been continuing to play video games while getting back into poker, I find the juggling act to be working out better than expected. I keep my focus on poker by constantly reading and re-reading the books that make up my ever-growing library of poker textbooks, poker player biographies, and poker fiction. Reading about Jay Greenspan's cross-country adventures in Hunting Fish: A Cross-Country Search for America's Worst Poker Players can make any poker player long for a little action, as does Holden's Big Deal and Alavarez's The Biggest Game in Town. Right now, I'm just finishing up Doyle's Poker Wisdom of a Champion. This is my second time reading the book and I enjoy Doyle's stories and anecdotes, though I'll admit that any discussion of strategy is either too out-dated or simplistic to be useful or too advanced to apply to the micro-limit donkey poker that I play regularly; however, I never intended to use the book as a textbook on poker theory. It's a fun read and that's all that matters to me.

I've also started eyeing a new laptop for myself. I'd like to pick up a poker machine dedicated solely to the pursuit of making more money via tons of online gambling and poker. The cheapest notebook computer that I've found to include all that I "need" will cost me around $1500 (tax included):

PROCESSOR:AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-58 (1.9GHz/1MB)
OPERATING SYSTEM:Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition, English
SYSTEM COLOUR:Expresso Brown Color with Microsatin Finish
LCD DISPLAY:High Resolution Glossy Widescreen 17.0 inch display (1920 x 1200)
MEMORY:2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
HARD DRIVE:160G 7200RPM SATA HDD
GRAPHICS CARD:ATI RADEON® Xpress1270 HyperMemory (64MB local frame buffer)
OPTICAL DRIVE:8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
I can't seem to give up on wanting a WUXGA screen running at a 1920 x 1200 resolution and only the higher-end machines seem to carry LCD screens of this resolution. It'd be a lot cheaper to simply start playing poker using a desktop machine with a nice 22" monitor, but I've grown accustomed to being able to play poker anywhere. So I'll keep saving up for my "dream" laptop computer; in the meantime, I'll keep hoping that prices will drop.

I've actually started looking ahead to the $200 NL and $400 NL tables. Sure, I'm at least a year away from $200 NL and a couple years away from $400 NL barring a sudden surge in free time and poker skill. But I've thought about it. And I've thought about what type of setup that I'd need to properly compete at these higher limits. As much as I like sitting beside my wife and playing poker, I might do much better if I were to set up an office dedicated solely to poker if and when the time comes.

Perhaps I could go with StoxTrader's set-up (see below) and go with a three monitor set-up (two 21" monitors flanking a 30" widescreen monitor)? That would be mighty sweet but I'd have to prove to my wife that the time I spent playing poker locked away in my "office" was well and truly worth it. I'm thinking that 4 PTBB/100 at 200-300 hands per hour might do the trick...



Anyway, I'm getting way ahead of myself. Tonight, I'll be playing $100 NL on my laptop in my bedroom with my wife at my side. I don't know what will happen tomorrow or the day after but I'm looking forward to the journey.

2 comments:

Ben said...

Wow, that is an awesome office.. I'm jealous.

Nice blog -

Ben
http://blog.canaffco.com

Klopzi said...

Tell me about it.

Mind you, I'd probably go for a different decorating scheme. My wife's good at that type of thing.

However, no online poker office is complete without a painting of some dogs playing poker!