If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

New Year, New Goals, New Outlook

Last night, I did a quick review of all the different poker rooms out there and realized that nothing much has changed since I stopped playing regular poker. Actually, that's not quite true. It now appears that Titan Poker (and the iPoker network) is now tied for third in traffic with Party Poker. So I guess I'll be playing at Titan Poker when I make my return due to the solid rakeback deal that I've got with them.

Now that I've decided to return to poker - not that I really left - I've been thinking about what goals I'd like to accomplish in 2008. I failed to meet most of the goals I set in 2007 but I'm hoping that next year proves different.

If I think about the amount of poker that I'll play in 2008, I need to be realistic. I've got two kids, a wife, a number of great Xbox 360 games that I'd like to play, and not a whole lot of free time. With all that in mind, I'm going to do my best to put in at least 3 hours a week of poker. As for actual "table hours" of poker, I'll have to see how many tables I can profitably play. Let's say that I can manage to play a couple tables at a time which is the most likely scenario if the past is any indicator. So we're looking at about 300 table hours of poker for the year.

I think that if I can manage to play at least 300 hours of poker, I'll be able to regain anything I might have lost over the past few months and, hopefully, build on my solid foundation of poker knowledge and experience. I would like to be a regular at the $100 NL hold'em tables by the end of 2008. If possible, I think it'd be fun to also try my hand at the $200 NL tables as well when I feel ready.

As for sit-n-gos and other forms of poker, I'll probably steer well clear unless I'm having a few drinks with friends over. Mr. V. is good for helping me pull out a few SNG wins and I doubt things have changed much since we last played together. Then again, playing some tipsy poker at the $10 NL tables might be good for a laugh as well.

I would also like to win a pot exceeding $300 at one point in the New Year as well. The largest pot I've won so far was around $220, but I think I could beat this at the $100 NL tables given a little time and a little luck. Ultimately, I'd like to be regularly winning pots exceeding $500 but that won't happen until I've really stepped up the stakes.

Normally, I'd also set some sort of financial goal as well. I won't do this for 2008. I'll just let my bankroll grow or shrink as much or as little as it likes. Currently, I'm sitting on about $1800 which is just about enough to play $100 NL. I'll be buying in short for the next little while so I'd be happy playing with far less than 18 buy-ins in my bankroll in any case. If I can hit the $3000 mark and if I feel good about my game, I may take a seat at the $200 NL tables and play some short-stacked poker. If I can acclimatize myself to the harder games bit by bit, I hope to speed up the learning process and really prepare myself both mentally and financially before it comes time to make the jump permanently.

2008 will be the year where I will take a few more chances with my bankroll and couple that with a more realistic outlook of what I can expect to get back from the game. Poker and I may have an on-again-off-again relationship but I believe we're both willing to work on things until a happy balance of family, life, video games, and poker can be achieved.

I look forward to sharing the knowledge I gain, the thrills of victory, and the agonies of defeat with all my readers. For better or worse, I'm here to stay. I just hope that I can make the ride a little interesting for all of us.

2 comments:

doubleuwhy said...

Happy Holidays and good luck in the new year.

Now I've gotta come up with my 2008 poker plans!

Cheers,
Doubleuwhy

Klopzi said...

Hey there!

I noticed things have slowed down on your blog; hopefully, you're keeping up the poker, even if very little.

I'll be interested to see where you see yourself headed in the New Year.

Have a great holiday season!

K.