If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

How does that one go again?

You ever get a song stuck in your head? Sure you have! I still remember waking up in Grade 7 with U2's "Angel of Harlem" playing on my clock-radio. I must have hummed that damned song over and over for a good twelve hours straight. In any case, I thought I'd fill you in on three songs that have been popping up in my head for the past few weeks. And no worries: Scatman is not on the list...though now that I think about it...

This first song is Fidelity by Regina Spektor. The chorus is the part that gets me and will most likely stick with you well after the song's over. I've listed to some of Regina's other works and they don't really do it for me. I first heard this song while driving home from my wife's parents' place on a Sunday afternoon last summer. My wife hated the song, I liked it, and it's been banging around my head ever since.



A couple months ago, I heard a song on the radio. It was a catchy little number and I found myself humming the tune from time to time. What made this song an obsession for me was the fact that I had no idea what the song was called, nor did I know the artist who performed the song. I knew only one thing: the artist was female and the song featured little kids chanting/singing/rhyming in the background when the song moved from chorus to the next verse.

And then one night, while returning from the grocery store, the song played on the radio! Although the station failed to mention the artist's name after the song had finished, I managed to pick up one line in the song:
I'm sorry, so sorry, I'm sorry, it's like this...
The song is called "They" and it was written/performed by Welsh singer Jem. Some of Jem's other songs are catchy as well, though I haven't really looked into her discography in any detail.


And lastly, a little known song that appears at the end of a little video game called Portal has taken over my every waking thought. I won't give you the details surrounding how, when or why this song is played in the game Portal: just play the game! I will say that the song was written by Jonathan Coulton and it is called "Still Alive". The vocals in this version are by GLaDOS, a "female" computer AI with a quirky sense of humour and a bit of a temper...



Well, that's it. Enjoy your descent into insanity as these songs bounce around your head. If anything, I can guarantee that Still Alive will stay with you quite a while - especially if you've played Portal.

And if none of these songs do it for you, there's always...Scatman!



Have a good one!

No comments: