If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

Cover Me!

I've always been a fan of music; admittedly, I tend to lean more towards the fluffy pop stuff that gets played on the radio every hour for three or four weeks straight. However, I've always been a big fan of covers - especially if they add something to song in the way of unique presentation or a clever/catchy musical arrangement. It can be great when an artist moves in and steal another artist's song. In some cases, the covers end up sounding as good or better than the original.

Here's a list of some recent covers that I like..

Song: My Humps
Original Recording By: Black Eyed Peas
Cover By: Alanis Morissette

The Black Eyed Peas write some catchy songs. But sometimes I feel like something a little more soothing. Take, for example, the song My Humps. The original version is catchy but Fergie creeps me out. Call me crazy but former meth addicts are a hard sell.




My Humps was recently re-recorded by Alanis. I'm pretty sure this was just a joke but I actually prefer this version of the song. Sure, the lyrics are the same but the new musical arrangement and Alanis' voice add add a certain "je ne sais quoi" to the whole affair.



--

Song: Crazy
Original Recording By: Seal
Cover By: Alanis Morissette

I was a huge fan of Seal's hit song Crazy when it first came out in the nineties. Looking at the video below, I'm not sure if he looks scarier now or scarier back then...kinda looks like a reggae/biker/pirate version of Prince...



Once again, Alanis steps in to remake a "classic". I'm not sure if Alanis' version is better than Seal's but it's up there. Then again, maybe I'm just biased towards Canadian singers?



--

Song: Umbrella
Original Recording By: Rihanna
Cover by: Marié Digby

Although I'd usually find myself humming Rihanna's Umbrella hours after hearing it in the car, I wasn't a huge fan of the song. The whole song seems really reworked and manufactured and I really hated the way Rihanna sang the word "umbrella" as "um-ber-ella". It contains all the elements of a hit song but Rihanna's delivery is pretty standard fare for any of the radio station "divas" you hear nowadays.



Enter Internet-phenom Marié Digby who used Rihanna's hit song to propel her own musical career. Although Marié made an early career doing covers of others' songs on YouTube, things really took off when she sang her own version of Umbrella. When I first heard this version on the radio, I figured it was Rihanna singing an acoustic version of her own song. Also notice that Ms. Digby sings the word "umbrella" properly - although in her original version she pronounced it "um-bella". Jebus, how hard is it to say umbrella? I just said it five times fast and I still got it right...



--

Song: Baby Got Back
Original Recording By: Sir Mix-A-Lot
Cover By: Jonathan Coulton

One last cover for today. No one can beat the sheer appeal and nostalgic value of Sir Mix-A-Lot's masterpiece.



However, Jonathan Coulton's version is so well done that you can't help but smile. If you'll recall, Mr. Coulton is the same singer/song writer who created "Still Alive" for the video game Portal.



--

Have a great weekend everyone!

And to all the bloggers hitting Vegas this weekend, have fun but be safe. The world needs poker bloggers more than ever nowadays and it'd be a shame to have anything un-towards happen to any of you. And though I can't join you, I leave you with this:


No comments: