If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

A Word of Advice

I had a dream last night that I was watching some guy play poker on his laptop. He was playing four sit-and-gos at a time while discussing the importance of understanding the effects of variance and luck on my state of mind.

The point he was trying to drive home was that everyone has bad beats, tough breaks, and long streaks where nothing seems to go well. It is during these times that you must stay diligent, re-examine your game for leaks, and doing your utmost to continue playing your A-game in the face of adversity.

Then he looked at me and said, "No matter how well you play poker, you're going to lose long and hard from time to time. For example, I've now lost 16 sit-and-gos in a row without winning a single one."

So I responded, "But I've lost well over 40 sit-and-gos since my last win."

Without pause, he said, "Jesus, you suck...”

With that, he asked me to leave before turning his attention back to the games unfolding on his laptop.

I guess poker has started to creep into my dreams again, albeit with a decidedly darker tone to which I'm accustomed.

2 comments:

Lifesagrind said...

Funny, yet poignant story.

I can't say I've gone 40 without a win before but I have gone something like 22 without a first before.

Klopzi said...

Yep, it's been a while for me. In fact, over my current losing streak, I've only managed two thirds and a second place finish. I've lost about a quarter of my bankroll since mid-September...

I think this streak helps explain why I'm not playing poker right now...