If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

Vengeance will be mine...

I had a great weekend spending time with my family. I also had a terrible time at the tables. Having had great success at the Full Tilt's $11 + $1 Turbo SNG tables, I was really pumped about trying my hand at FT's $22 + $2 Turbo tables. Unfortunately, you know that old saying about the best laid plans...?

Everything started off quite well. After playing six $22 SNGs, I was close to break even after bubbling twice and finishing in third place three times. The players were not that great and I'd been a little unlucky to finish as poorly as I had.

Friday night, I took the night off to watch a movie with my wife. I figured that a relaxing evening away from the poker tables might help me re-focus and give me an edge when I next sat down to play poker. Also, I like watching movies with my wife so it was a win-win situation for me.

Saturday, I squeezed in a few sit-n-gos after spending the bulk of my day vaccuuming and cleaning. My plan was to do the cleaning so that my 36-weeks-pregnant wife wouldn't have to do any work. Unfortunately, after a couple hours of work, I went upstairs and found my wife scrubbing the bathrooms. Oh well, I did my best.

Anyway, I managed to take down one a first place finish in one of the SNGs on Saturday, putting me back in the black for the $22 sit-n-gos.

And then came Sunday. I was registered to play a $1500 freeroll at InterPoker, courtesy of the fine folks at RakeTheRake (referral account RTR03302). With 226 entrants and the top thirty spots paying, I was feeling good about my chances to make a little money.

While slowly making my way through the tournament, I played a number of SNGs at Full Tilt, hoping to build on Saturday's momentum. Alas, this was not to be.

I currently find myself on an eleven game losing streak: no wins and no in-the-money finishes. The only consolation that I have is that I've managed to get my money in with the best of it (or at least with a 50/50 shot) on all but a few occasions. I seem to be playing alright, though I can't seem to catch any cards or win any coin flips.

My best chance to make the money came in one sit-n-go where I found myself with T2500 in the small blind and holding KK. With the blinds at 150/300 and only four of us remaining in the SNG, this was an easy push into the chip leader sitting in the big blind with a T4500 stack. Although the chip leader thought for about 15 seconds, he finally made the call with A8. The flop came down A T 8 and I was done.

To make matters worse, I found myself holding KK in the InterPoker freeroll at the same time. I got it all in with two other players pre-flop: both my opponents held AK. I thought I was about to become a chip leader in the tournament and be a strong contender for winning the whole damned thing; unfortunately, the deck disagreed with my assessment by bringing an ace on the river to bust me out in 64th place. LOL donkaments...

If you play a lot of sit-n-gos, you'll know that the key to winning is fold equity. You put pressure on the tight, medium stacked players by pushing all-in hoping to pick up the blinds. And if you happen to be called, you're usually no worse than a 2 to 1 dog in the hand. [This process of jamming against tight, medium stacked players is the SNG strategy tip that I was discussing last week. Pretty obvious to most SNG players, yet it is a technique that very few players use - especially when playing on the bubble with a short stacked player about to be blinded out.]

I happen to be in the midst of bad luck streak. Hey, all I can do is make what I believe to be positive equity decisions at the table and let the cards fall where they may. I just hope that these cards will start to fall my way again sometime soon. I dislike dropping a few hundred dollars in buy-ins but variance is a part of the game. I'm sure it'll all come back to me someday as long as I stick to my game plan and avoid tilt.

In the meantime, I'll drop down to the $11 SNGs at Full Tilt and stay there until I've managed to pick up a couple wins. It's not that I don't have the bankroll to play the $22 + $2 games, but there's no point playing these higher-stake games unless I'm confident in my ability to crush the competition.

Once I have a little more money back in my pocket and regained some of my faltering confidence, I'll head back to the $22 tables.

Sweet, sweet vengeance will be mine...

2 comments:

Littleacornman said...

I reckon turbo sng's are just very very streaky by nature.I've run 0/20 itm recently and 0/10 is not unusual either.

Only takes one win to put a huge dent in a bad run and before you know it you've turned it round.

Good test of character too!

cheers,
Acorn

Klopzi said...

littleacornman-

They are pretty streaky, for sure. I'd play the regular SNGs, but I just don't have the time.

I'm starting to get back into the groove after faltering for a while. Hopefully I'll be able to dominate the $20s in much the same way as I've done with the $10s.

As for the test of character, I think I'm losing on that front. I almost gave up on the SNGs entirely after a string of awful beats. I'm pulling it back together now though...

As always, thanks for stopping by!