If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

Testing the Waters

This isn't the sit-n-go strategy post that I promised yesterday. Instead, I have a recap of last night session at the tables.

First off, I have to say that playing sit-n-gos seems to be satisfying my poker addiction and my video game addiction. I satisfy my poker jones by playing poker and winning money; I fill the video game void by being able to declare "I win!" after I take down a sit-n-go. Hopefully I can keep this up when I invariably go through a cold streak at the tables.

Last night, I made my way to the $20 sit-n-go tables. I decided to play a regular $20 + $2 at Titan Poker and a $22 + $2 Turbo at Full Tilt. Since the blinds increase so slowly in regular sit-n-gos, I figured I'd easily manage to finish off the Full Tilt turbo well before things got interesting over at Titan.

I know discussing results of sit-n-gos is like discussing the intricacies behind a coin flip, but bear with me and I guarantee that we'll easily kill off 5-10 minutes of your workday...as would staring mindlessly at the wall or cleaning your nails with that lone paper clip sitting at the edge of your desk.

My first two attempts at the $20s worked out well. I'm a firm believer that it's better to go out firing on the bubble than to sneak into third and lose with the short stack. Granted, I'd much rather take down a big pot on the bubble and get in the money with the big stack. But if wishes came true, it'd rain pancakes and bacon every morning...and McGriddles...and maybe some of those new Tim Horton's Breakfast Sandwiches (aka Tim McMuffins). What was I talking about?

Anyway, in my Full Tilt turbo, I decided to push into the other medium stack on the bubble with my 5♥ 2♥. Unfortunately, I was insta-called by A♠ A♥. I don't mind bubbling out, especially when I've only invested 30 minutes of my time. I'd be interested to see if my fourth place finishes correlate with my first place finishes; I'll check back on this in a month's time perhaps.

I also managed to bubble out in my Titan SNG. I was under the gun holding an 8♦ 9♠ and the table had tightened up rather dramatically once the fifth place player was bounced from the game. With somewhere between 6 and 8 BBs left, I figured that I had pretty good fold equity if I pushed all in - and that's what I did! Unfortunately, the guy sitting in the big blind woke up with AK and decided to flip for his tournament life. I imagine he was quite happy when I flipped over my cards. The flop hit both of us but his pair of kings easily beat my pair of nines.

While finishing up the SNG at Titan, I decided to check out the multi-table tournaments they had running. I believe Scurvydog, or perhaps Kajagugu, had mentioned that Titan had some great tournament overlays and terrible players. As I browsed the upcoming tournaments, I found a $1000 Guaranteed $5 + $0.50 Re-buy with Add-on tournament starting at 9:30 PM EST. More importantly, I noticed that only 14 players had registered to play. With only twenty minutes left until game time, I liked my chances and signed up.

I'll get back to the tournament later in the post...

I played a couple more $22 + $2 Turbos at Full Tilt. Unlike my previous two attempts, I managed to cash in both of these. Unfortunately, I ended up placing third in both games. Strangely enough, I went out with the KQ in both games:


  • SNG #3: I pushed my ten remaining big bets all-in from the button and got called by the small blind holding AQ. Some might say that the small blind's call was a little loose. And yet others would say that AQ is a monster hand when three-handed. I'm just happy that I made it into the money with a good-sized stack and got to make a good play for all my chips.

  • SNG #4: I pushed all-in from the button and got called by the small blind holding 77. Geez, these small blind players are a crafty bunch, aren't they?

I was worried that I'd find the $20 SNGs difficult but they were quite similar to the $10 buy-in sit-n-gos. In a strange twist, many of the $20 players were playing much looser than the $10 players. I guess it's easy to think that you need to loosen up and play more aggressively as you move up the buy-in ladder. Do I think that this applies to $20 sit-n-gos? Nope. I'll worry about changing up my play when I start playing the $100 SNGs; until then, I'll stick with my standard push-bot strategy.

And now, back to the tournament...

I believe that the last time I played an MTT, I managed to take first place for about $1000. This time, I placed 13th out of 90 players - 76 players signed up for the tournament in the final 3 minutes of regsistration - for a prize of $0.

My main goal for this tournament was to see how well my sit-n-go strategy would work in a multi-table environment. I believe that my strategy may very well work for MTTs given my comfort level and the level of play of your standard micro-limit tournament player. Had it not been for an unfortunate event involving Big Slick, I would have undoubtedly cashed and stood a good chance at making a solid run at the final table.

I was really enjoying playing the $50 NL cash games and now I'm really, really enjoying playing SNGs. Poker's quite a game, isn't it?

2 comments:

SitNGoTraining.com said...

Sounds like you had a fun night of poker! Regarding the difference between $10 and $20 sit 'n go buy-in levels... you are correct in that there isn't much difference between the players. As you go beyond the $20 level you will see more good players on average at the table, but there are bad players at all levels (just more of them at the lower levels).

Klopzi said...

So far, so good. I haven't found the players too bad at the $20 level, as you mention. A bit looser and a bit more aggressive but not bad.

I've only played 7 SNGs at the $20+ buy-in level and am still waiting for my first win.

It'll probably happen this weekend sometime.

Thanks for stopping by.