If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

Session Review #4: PartyPoker, $50 NL (6-max)

After coming off a good session on Sunday night, I was feeling pretty good about my game. Whereas the flops went more or less my way on Sunday, things were a little different for Monday night's session...

This session at Party taught me the importance of playing in position. The lesson was learned from the perspective of one playing out of position. I can't tell you exactly how many times I was floated but the number is frighteningly high. Although I tried to mix things up by staggering my c-bets and tightening/loosening my starting hand requirements, it seemed like I was playing from behind for most of the session.

PartyPoker ($50 NL)
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG (Villain): $17.23
CO: $53.03
Button: $70.87
Hero: $59.47
BB: $58.93

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is SB with A♣ T♠
UTG raises to $1.5, 2 folds, Hero raises to $5, BB folds, UTG calls.

(Villain was a LAG player in every sense of the word. He'd been raising a lot of hands and I figured my AT to be best. I was hoping to isolate, hit the flop, and have Villain commit himself to the pot.)

Flop: 7♣ 4♦ 5♥ ($10.5, 2 players)
Hero bets $6, UTG raises to $12, Hero folds.
Uncalled bets: $6 returned to UTG.

(I hate getting check-raised! I had no fold equity in the hand and was likely behind. I hate folding in situations such as these since it only serves to reinforce Villain's aggressive behaviour. However, there are better places to make a stand.)

Results:
Final pot: $22.5


PartyPoker ($50 NL)
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $48.58
UTG+1 (LAG): $46
CO (TAG): $46.36
Hero: $89.27
SB: $62
BB: $13.35

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is Button with 9♥ 9♦
UTG folds, LAG calls, TAG raises to $2.5, Hero calls, 2 folds, LAG calls.

(In position with a good hand, so I called. The pre-flop raise, TAG, has not raised pre-flop many times at all and he'd shown a good hand each time. Still, with both LAG and TAG having large stacks, I made this call in the hopes of flopping the set and stacking the LAG or the TAG (if A 9 x flop hits).)

Flop: 3♠ 4♥ 4♣ ($8.25, 3 players)
LAG checks, TAG bets $5, Hero calls, LAG calls.

(I was floating the TAG here but the play backfired when LAG called. I should have raised. By raising, I'd have known exactly where I stood in regards to the TAG's hand and the LAG's hand, if he'd happened to tag along.)

Turn: K♦ ($23.25, 3 players)
LAG checks, TAG checks, Hero checks.

(Since LAG was in the pot, I was a little worried about firing out here.)

River: A♦ ($23.25, 3 players)
LAG bets $8.5, TAG raises to $20, Hero folds, LAG raises all-in $30, TAG calls.

(Easy fold for me here. My suspicions of being behind were confirmed when the LAG bet and the TAG raised. However, I had no idea just how "behind" I was at the time...)

Results:
Final pot: $100.25
TAG shows Ac Ah
LAG doesn't show 5s 4s


PartyPoker ($50 NL)
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $41.48
UTG+1: $108.04
Hero: $63.96
Button (Villain): $67.64
SB: $18.53
BB: $41.34

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is CO with 7♥ A♣
2 folds, Hero raises to $2, Villain calls, SB folds, BB calls.

(Villain had called each of my pre-flop raises when on the button. Even though I'd slowed down for the last three or four orbits, Villain was still willing to make the pre-flop call. This speaks rather poorly of my skill and my Poker Tracker stats. Having the BB call my raise was an added "screw you".)

Flop: T♥ 4♣ 8♦ ($6.25, 3 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $5, Villain calls, BB raises to $14.5, Hero folds, Villain folds.
Uncalled bets: $9.5 returned to BB.

(With a safe flop and with the BB showing a willingness to fold to c-bets, I decided to take a stab at the pot. Unfortunately, Villain floated me yet again. How did I know he was making a loose call? After the BB check-raised me, the Villain insta-folded. For any 6-max experts out there, how do you deal with opponents who'll float you non-stop? My thinking is that I need to wait for a big hand, three-bet if my c-bet is raised, or double-barrel the flop and turn in the hopes of discouraging the "floater" from sticking with his hand.)

Results:
Final pot: $21.25


PartyPoker ($50 NL)
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $48.93
Hero: $54.93
CO: $57.12
Button (Villain): $12.89
SB: $52.33
BB: $34.40

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG+1 with A♥ A♦
UTG calls, Hero raises to $2.5, CO folds, Villain calls, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls.

(Villain was pretty loose pre-flop (VP$IP around 65%) but he'd tighten up post-flop. He'd floated me a few times. Thankfully, both UTG and BB called my large raise so the pot would be big. I was really hoping to get a nice rainbow flop or to flop a set.)

Flop: K♣ T♦ 9♦ ($10.25, 4 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, Villain checks.

(I decided to check the flop with my overpair and my backdoor nut-flush draw. In hindsight, a bet would have been much better since I could have easily pushed if check-raised or raised by the Villain.)

Turn: A♠ ($10.25, 4 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets $10, Villain calls, 2 folds.

(I had to bet here: failing to bet is a little too suspicious. I wanted my bet to be big in order to make it appear that I was afraid of having anyone draw out on me. I was a little surprised that the Villain called and that he didn't simply push his last $0.89 into the pot. Unfortunately, Villain also prevented either the BB or UTG from calling the bet.)

River: K♦ ($30.25, 2 players)
Hero raises all-in $42.43, Villain calls all-in $0.39.
Uncalled bets: $42.04 returned to Hero.

(I hit the flush on the river and I was sure that I was ahead. I thought most likely holding was two-pair: AK, AT, or A9.)

Results:
Final pot: $31.03
Hero shows Ah Ad
Villain shows Qh Ac (I was wrong: he called with top pair and gutshot draw.)


PartyPoker ($50 NL)
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $13.85
UTG+1: $48.58
CO: $49
Button: $46.36
Hero: $76.04
BB (Villain): $73

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is SB with K♥ K♣
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, CO calls, Button folds, Hero raises to $3, Villain calls, UTG folds, CO calls.

(The Villain in this hand was the same as in Hand #3. This hand takes place earlier in the session. I already knew that Villain liked to raise and put a lot of pressure on his opponents. Though I had a great hand, I wasn't happy to have Villain on my left.)

Flop: 9♦ 4♣ 3♠ ($9.5, 3 players)
Hero checks, Villain checks, CO checks.

(I was trying to exercise pot control here. I've been so afraid of running into sets lately that I play top pair and overpairs very weakly. My chief concern was making a big bet and having the Villain push me off my hand.)

Turn: 8♣ ($9.5, 3 players)
Hero bets $8, Villain calls, CO folds.

(No more free cards. I made a big bet and got insta-called by Villain. After CO folded, I realized that I still know nothing about the strength of Villain's hand. I really should have bet the flop...)

River: A♦ ($25.5, 2 players)
Hero checks, Villain checks.

(Awful river card. If I bet, Villain would most likely fold any hand that didn't contain an ace unless he'd hit a set on the flop or turn. I played it safe and checked. I would have probably folded to a push by the Villain.)

Results:
Final pot: $25.5
Hero shows Kh Kc
Villain doesn't show Jh Jc
(This confirms that I played the hand poorly. Overpair vs.overpair? I should have made some money...)


PartyPoker ($50 NL)
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $32.66
UTG+1 (Villain): $41.23
CO: $53.71
Button: $70.42
Hero: $50.69
BB: $38.28

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is SB with A♣ K♠
UTG folds, Villain raises to $2, 2 folds, Hero raises to $6, BB folds, Villain calls.

(This was my first hand at a new table. I knew nothing about the Villain.)

Flop: 9♣ K♦ Q♠ ($12.5, 2 players)
Hero checks, Villain bets $6, Hero raises to $18.
Uncalled bets: $12 returned to Hero.

(This disconnect thing is atrocious! Others at the table commented that Villain had timed out in an earlier hand as well in order to get a free look at the river. He was booted from the table at the conclusion of the hand.)

Turn: 5♥ ($24.5, 2 players)


River: 9♥ ($24.5, 2 players)


Results:
Final pot: $24.5
Hero shows Ac Ks
Villain doesn't show Jh As

I said earlier that I felt like I was playing from behind for most of the session. Rather than playing aggressively, I became quite weak and started seeing monsters under the bed at every opportunity.

The main question that arises from this session is: how do you deal with aggressive players (smart or crazy) to your left? I guess the easiest solution if to find a better table. I'd be interested to hear how some of you would answer this question.

And, as always, I appreciate any feedback on the hands above. You know what they say: it takes a village to raise a child.

No comments: