If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

Session Review #2: PartyPoker, $50 NL (6-max)

This weekend, I focused on enjoying poker. I only played when I felt like it, falling back on my Xbox 360 and a couple games (Condemned: Criminal Origins and Enchanted Arms as needed. Did this help or hurt my game? I'll let you decide.

Here is a review of my Saturday poker session. I'll review my best three and worst three hands, commenting as appropriate. As always, I appreciate any and all feedback. SAG was nice enough to call me a donkey in my last session review (which I vehemently opposed, although do somewhat concede that SAG may be right in that regard): so please feel free to call me a donkey too!

PartyPoker ($50 NL)
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $57.80
CO: $47.69
Hero: $59.85
SB: $11.12
BB (Villain): $66.17

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is Button with K♦ A♠
UTG calls, CO calls, Hero raises to $3, SB folds, Villain calls, UTG folds, CO calls.

Flop: K♣ 5♠ A♥ ($9.75, 3 players)
Villain checks, CO checks, Hero bets $6, Villain calls, CO folds.

[The Villain in this hand had taken a sizeable pot off of me earlier this session and I was sure that he felt that I was steaming at this point. Little did he know that I'm used to getting rivered...and paying off large value bets by my opponents.]

Turn: J♦ ($21.75, 2 players)
Villain checks, Hero bets $15, Villain calls.

[When Villain calls this turn bet, I'm putting him on two pair. He was very loose and was prone to call down to the river with any draw and weaker hands.]

River: 6♠ ($51.75, 2 players)
Villain checks, Hero raises all-in $35.85, Villain calls.

[Assuming I was ahead on the turn, I'm most likely ahead here. Time to push and hope Villain calls.]

Results: (in white below)
Final pot: $123.45
Villain shows 8h Ac (WTF? Talk about not respecting my game.)
Hero shows Kd As


PartyPoker ($50 NL)
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $51.45
Hero: $55.15
CO: $18.85
Button (Villain): $51.86
SB: $93.70
BB: $50

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG+1 with 7♦ 7♣
UTG folds, Hero raises to $2, CO folds, Villain calls, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: A♥ Q♦ 6♣ ($6.5, 3 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $5, Villain raises to $10, SB folds, Hero folds.
Uncalled bets: $5 returned to Villain.

[I hate the situation that can occur when you raise pre-flop and get called by someone in position. You've got a mediocre hand and want to take down the pot. You c-bet hoping that your opponent will put you on the ace and fold; instead, you're raised. In the case of this hand, I didn't suspect that the Villain was simply bluff-raising so I made the easy fold.]

Results:
Final pot: $16.5


PartyPoker ($50 NL)
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $48.50
UTG+1: $24.06
CO: $55.19
Button (Villain): $56.14
SB: $48.75
Hero: $51.63

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is BB with J♥ A♣
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, CO folds, Villain raises to $2, SB folds, Hero raises to $6, UTG+1 folds, Villain calls.

[Villain had been raising quite a lot pre-flop. I've seen some people call in this spot rather than re-raise. With a hand like AJ, I was hoping to take down the pot pre-flop.]


Flop: 4♣ 8♣ 7♣ ($12.75, 2 players)
Hero checks, Villain checks.

[I'd been making a lot of c-bets on missed flops and getting raised off hands. I decided to change it up against an opponent who didn't like to fold. I also didn't want to play a big pot out of position. Any opinions from the 6-max experts out there?]

Turn: 3♥ ($12.75, 2 players)
Hero checks, Villain bets $8, Hero raises to $20, Villain folds.
Uncalled bets: $12 returned to Hero.

[I didn't want to bet out and get called again. I figured that a turn check-raise might throw the Villain for a loop. I hadn't check-raised at the table yet and I was hoping that a show of strength would force my opponent to lay down his hand. I think the Villain had a hand similar to mine (Ax, KQ, etc.) and his bet resulted from me checking both the flop and turn.]

Results:
Final pot: $28.75


PartyPoker ($50 NL)
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG (Villain): $52.58
CO: $32.43
SB: $48.75
Hero: $66.09
SB: $55.16
BB: $20.27

Pre-flop: (4 players) Hero is Button with 5♣ A♥
Villain calls, Hero raises to $2.5, 2 folds, Villain calls.

[Villain was limping into a number of pots. I decided to raise on the button, hoping to pick up the blinds and Villain's bet.]

Flop: T♠ T♦ K♦ ($5.75, 2 players)
Villain checks, Hero bets $5, Villain calls.

[I figured I'd c-bet since the Villain did fold to c-bets. When he called, I was a little concerned and was prepared to drop the hand on the turn if Villain bet into me.]

Turn: 4♥ ($15.75, 2 players)
Villain checks, Hero checks.

[Maybe two barreling here might have been good...?]

River: 6♥ ($15.75, 2 players)
Villain checks, Hero bets $10, Villain raises to $20, Hero folds.
Uncalled bets: $10 returned to Villain.

[I can't believe I folded to a river check-raise after opening the betting on the river. The fact that he went for the check-raise instead of simply betting out seems to imply that he thought that I was bluffing or that he had a monster. I played this hand poorly. Instead of betting the river, I should have bet the turn and checked the river. Alternatively, I could have checked the flop and bet the turn, representing the AK or flopped trips.]

Results:
Final pot: $35.75


PartyPoker ($50 NL)
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $50.50
CO: $47.75
SB: $48.75
Hero: $58.70
SB: $47.25
BB (Villain): $29.90

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is Button with Q♣ J♥
2 folds, Hero raises to $2, SB folds, Villain calls.

[Standard blind steal. Villain was a somewhat loose pre-flop and tended to fold to bets after the flop.]

Flop: J♠ A♣ 5♦ ($4.25, 2 players)
Villain checks, Hero bets $4, Villain calls.

[The c-bet on this flop is automatic. I think I could get away with betting less since the board is pretty clean. When the Villain called my bet, I figured that I was behind a Ax suited hand or a middle pair (hopefully not 55). ]

Turn: 8♦ ($12.25, 2 players)
Villain checks, Hero bets $6, Villain calls.

[When the Villain checked again, I decided to fire off a second shot. My plan was to check behind on the river if called; if raised, I would have folded. When the Villain called yet again, I was sure that I was behind in the hand. I didn't put the Villain on a set, but I was up against an Ax type hand.]

River: J♦ ($24.25, 2 players)
Villain checks, Hero bets $12, Villain calls.

[Bingo! I hit my five outer and am most assuredly ahead here. I didn't figure the Villain for a flush draw and I believed that he put me on a weak ace or a pocket pair. I didn't want to risk checking to the Villain, in case he lost his nerve and put me on the flush, so I decided to bet out. I was a little surprised that Villain didn't push the last of his stack into the pot but there's no accounting for taste. So - what do you put the Villain on in this hand?]

Results: (in white below)
Final pot: $48.25
Hero shows Qc Jh
Villain doesn't show Ad Kh


PartyPoker ($50 NL)
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $46.35
CO: $32.43
SB: $48.75
Button (Villain): $39.45
SB: $46.58
Hero: $49.75

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is BB with Q♥ Q♣
UTG folds, CO calls, Villain calls, SB calls, Hero raises to $3, CO folds, Villain calls, SB folds.

[Have I mentioned that I hate being out of position in a pot where I was the pre-flop aggressor?]

Flop: 8♦ 7♦ 3♥ ($7, 2 players)
Hero bets $5, Villain calls.

[Good news: Villain called. Most opponents will put you on AK when you raise so getting a call here doesn't tell me that much.]

Turn: 3♣ ($17, 2 players)
Hero checks, Villain checks.

[I don't mind this check, as long as I feel that I can get away from the hand on the river should I face a large bet. Knowing my playing style, I should have bet enough to ruin any odds that my opponent is getting to draw. And if Villain wasn't on a draw, I'm sure a big bet would have given me the answer I was looking for.]


River: 6♣ ($17, 2 players)
Hero bets $10, Villain raises to $20, Hero calls.

[Ah, the good old blocking bet...these never seem to work for me. At the time of the hand, I made the call for the extra $10 very quickly figuring the Villain for a busted flush draw. Should I have taken a little more time to think things through? Sklansky says that a large river bet usually means one thing: you're beat! Could Sklansky be correct here?]

Results: (in white below)
Final pot: $57
Villain shows 9h Tc
Hero doesn't show Qh Qc


Although Saturday's session at PartyPoker wasn't the greatest, I think I re-learned a lot of the lessons that I'd forgotten during my hiatus. My biggest leak thus far has been calling large river bets by convincing myself that my opponents are bluffing. The fact that I have to guess the correct play on the river speaks poorly of my play during the hand in question.

In the weeks to come, I'm going to focus on on my pot-control skills and my patience. Losing the money in the pot is a secondary concern to protecting the money still in my stack...

4 comments:

L'artiste said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
L'artiste said...

The turn check in that last hand is not really good. There's a lot of draws out there and you pretty much gift-wrapped that hand to the villain. At these low stakes, where monkeys have no respect for pot odds, I don't mind jamming the turn and make them think twice about chasing some more. There's

As for the 7-7 hand, OOP with these cards out there, don't even bother betting the flop. Check/fold is fine, you missed and your hand is probably not good at that point.

Everything else seems fine.

Klopzi said...

l'artiste-

In the last hand (QQ vs ??), Villain was a pretty solid player. I agree that the turn check was my downfall. However, in my defense, I was trying to exert a little pot-size control. My biggest mistake was dismissing the fact that my opponent would play a hand like T9 or 45 with the pot odds he was offered pre-flop. I think it's a long-term losing play, but he got me this time.

I also think that, regardless of how the hand played out, the bet on the river is pretty bad. Blocking bet or not, I'm in a situation where I'm either way ahead (when he misses his flush) or way behind (when he hit straight, set, or two pair). In any case, I think a check/call is much better in this scenario. Had I checked, I would have called a $10 - $15 bet on the end there.

This hand was actually a big learning hand for me. Was the lesson worth it? We'll see.

As for the 77 hand...

I don't like to get into the habit of check/folding, especially when the Ace hits the flop. Villain seems to be testing me with the min-raise, though he could be trying to get me to push against his AQ or some other hand.

FYI, Sklansky says that you should usually check as the PF aggressor if you're called by another player who has position on you. So maybe I could have c/r the flop or bet the turn if the flop checked through.

sag said...

I like your play with ak, typical party thing, wtf he could have a better ace than mine?

I do not know what I think of your qj play, but I think here your opponent had to be punished for not reraising you and just calling you down with the best hand.

About the QQ play, l'artiste said it and you already know what you do wrong. Overplaying queens on the one hand is bad, nevertheless on a drawheavy board like this rather make him pay.