If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

Still a winning weekend

Unfortunately, another weekend of less poker than usual. I managed to play a live 5-person SNG on Friday night at the St. Patrick's Day party that my wife and I hosted for our friends. And I also managed to play a few hours at the $20 NL tables at River Belle Poker on Saturday. Other than that, no poker was played...

Still, I earned myself another two buy-ins at the $20 tables. I'm now all that much closer to clearing my $250 NL Challenge. I'm trying to take it slowly since I don't feel that I'll be ready for the $50 NL tables any time soon.

Don't get me wrong - I'll play the $50 NL tables. However, my expectations will not be that high. I'm just enjoying the little streak that I've been on and no matter what happens, I can't complain. It's been a good month so far.

As for the live game, I quickly noticed something right from the get-go. Although I'd had 8 beers by the time we started the SNG, I found myself much better at reading other people's hands.

I even got lucky a few times and managed to guess the specific hands being played by my friends. However, guessing that someone's holding A9 or QJ based solely on pre-flop betting is just a matter of luck. Still, it was a fun little party trick.

More importantly, I found myself able to judge the relative strength of my hand across a number of situations. This really allowed me to play the role of aggressor in most hands and I managed to hold on for second place.

Last hand, I was short-stacked and pushed all-in with a gut-shot straight draw and flush draw and lost to top-pair, no kicker. Them's the breaks, but Marlborough played a good game and deserved to win.

I'm keeping it short today - I was in late this morning due to a doctor's appointment and I'm off early this afternoon for some x-rays. It's great how the body starts to break down as you get older...

Tonight's plans: $30 SNG at PokerStars and $20 NL at River Belle.

I've been putting off the SNG for a while but it's time to bite the bullet and see if I can make the money.

As for the River Belle deposit bonus, I've cleared about one-third of the required raked hands and still have quite a bit of work ahead of me. Hopefully I'll manage to clear another solid chunk tonight.

Ok, that's it for now. Too tired to write and I've got some work to do.

See you at the tables.

No comments: