If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

The hits keep comin'!

Another night, another disheartening loss of a bunch of my hard-earned bankroll. The tables have not been kind to me lately, but I guess I'm partly to blame. If only I had the discipline to play every hand, call to the river with everything, and never ever raise unless I'm holding the stone-cold nuts...

If you look at my side-menu, you'll see that I'm not doing so well in all three of my challenges right now.

I dropped $27 in about an hour and a half at the $1/$2 tables at Interpoker last night. I didn't play poorly at all. Just some missed flops and some lucky hits by my opponents on the turn and the river.

I actually forced myself to lay down top pair when I had a funny feeling that one of my opponents had hit an unlikely straight. I was right and saved myself at least $4 in that hand.

Still, I played my game and lost. I'll make that back soon though.

The real kick in the junk happened at the $25 NL tables. If you read my previous post, you'll know that I've extended my $250 NL Challenge to include the tables at Interpoker.

I loaded up a couple tables and started playing. The players at these tables all had VP$IPs in the range of 30% - 60%, low aggression factors, and pre-flop raise percentages hovering around 3%! After about 20 minutes, I was up about $5 on one table and $10 on the other table. So far, so good.

Then I pick up 99 and raise it up from MP and get one caller. The flop is all unders with two clubs, so I bet close to the pot just trying to take it down there. Nope - my opponent wants to play.

Turn is a 4c. At this point, I'm not putting my opponent on a flush since I didn't think that anyone would call a pot-sized bet heads up with only a draw. I guess that limit poker thinking (stupid implied odds!).

I decide to bet to find out what my opponent's up to and I bet close to the pot again. In hindsight, a little on the large side but I was trying to get him to fold. My opponent calls.

Looking back now, I totally should have played the river passively. There are three to a flush on the board, 4 to a straight, and my opponent has shown that he does not want to fold. I can't possibly think that my overpair is good.

When the river shows Jd, I bet out again even though an overcard has hit. My opponent immediately raises to $11. At this point, I'm losing to any hand containing a five, any hand containing a jack, any two pair, and two clubs. So I fold, right?

If you see me playing and this situation pops up, find a way to save me from myself. Instead of folding, I called the raise and lost to my opponent's nut flush. At first I was pissed off that he got lucky hitting the flush. However, he could've hand any one of the numerous hands that had me beat.

I lost $22 on a hand where I should not have lost any more than $6 to $10. Awful...

Now, some other bloggers out there might change the facts of a hand in order to save face. Others might simply avoid posting their shame. Not me - I need to let everyone know how bad I am at the NL tables right now so that I'll have the drive to get better at this game.

Anyway, I managed to pull it together after that. I pull back to even at the NL tables until I pick up a 67s in the CO. Some limpers come in so I limp as well.

When the flop comes 8 9 T, I'm ecstatic! The guy to my right bets and I make a pot-sized bet in order to deter others from staying in the pot. I want this guy all to myself.

When the player on the button pushes all in for his last $7, I instantly call as does the original flop bettor.

Anyway, the button had QJo and took the pot with his nut straight. Don't you hate it when you flop a made straight and another player has flopped the nut straight? I do.

Eight minutes later and at the same table, I limp from late MP with a J8s. The average pre-flop raise percentage for the table was 3% so I figured I'd be able to see a cheap flop.

Six players to the flop and it comes down 2h 7h 8s. I've picked up top pair with a flush draw! Sweet! SB min bets, one player calls and I put in a pot-sized bet.

Three of us see the turn and I pick up my flush! SB checks, guy to my right goes all in for $8. At this point, I have two options - call the bet and hope for the overcall from the SB or raise and shut out the SB. I decide to call and the SB raises it to $16.

Sweet! I push in for my last $6.50 and the SB insta-calls showing the nut flush. Damn! Strangely enough, this is the same guy who hit the nut flush on me when I had the overpair. I guess he had my number last night.

I don't know if there's much I could've done in this hand. I guess I could've raised the flop a little more in order to drive out my opponents. But I'd won a number of pots where a pot-sized bet on the flop was forcing all my opponents to fold. This time, they both had something they wanted to play it out.

As always, let me know what you think about any of this. I'm sure most would play these hands differently, myself included.

Drewspop sat down at one of my tables and we played for a little while. Thankfully, he was sitting at the table where I wasn't playing the role of donkey. I guess it'd be more exciting to play at a table where I get crushed but that's the luck of the draw, I guess.

Have a good one everyone - lots o' work to do today...

--

Update: After speaking with some friends, it was determined that my table image at the $25 NL table would've been ruined after calling the $11 river bet with only my overpair. This basically ensured that I'd get played with on most hands due to the implied odds everyone would be getting by playing with the donkey.

Playing low suited cards out of position or raising with middle pocket pairs with very little hope of taking the blinds or getting the raise respected are all bad moves.

Guess I'll tighten it up a bit and see how that changes the numbers. Pretty sweet though: I've never been a loose player until now. I guess I am a fish...

3 comments:

iamhoff said...

Discipline. My big problem. Don't you hate it not just when you're losing, but you're consistently losing to the same person? That absolutely sucks 7 year old dead ass.

On your 99 hand. I think you played correctly thru the turn. The 3 cards to a flush wouldn't cause me to not put out a pot bet, but the 4 to a straight might. The only card on the board you describe is the 4. What card would've been needed to make a straight? What is villain's calling range? Would you put him on a hand with that one card? As to the flush, what did he finally show? Once that J hit the river, you definitely should've played slow. Unless villain had played like a complete donkey the entire evening, he obviously had something. Most stupid or aggressive people won't just call a pot bet unless they've got something. If they're really trying to bluff, they'd reraise your ass. Preflop and turn I think you played correctly. River, definitely should have been passive.

67s. That's a little more tough. One thing I've been trying to do is take what's on the board and figure out what hands can be made that would beat me. Then, how likely is it that somebody would play along to that point with one of those hands. QJ is a strong enough looking hand that most fish would play it (myself included, at certain times). It is so hard to lay down a flopped straight. I can't fault you too much, because I can't say for certain that I would've played it differently.

J8s. That's one of my worst weaknesses, getting away from a mediocre (hmmm, where have I read that before?) hand. J8s I might limp with, depending on my position, and I don't think you played the post flop wrong. Top pair, go ahead and represent. It didn't sound as though anybody had a higher pair. Down to the river, I don't know. What did villain ultimately show for his cards? I'll always play suited aces, and most people I've come across (at least the fish) will play suited paint, so there are hands that could beat you. If villain was playing strong cards on your 99, then I'd certainly put him on good cards this hand, too.

Hindsight being 20-20 and all that crap, maybe harder betting preflop would've been helpful. The 99 hand maybe, but unless you really want to aggressively semi-bluff, neither of the other two hands are ones I'd want to be aggressive with preflop. Still, what do I know, besides that I suck? The only hand I can say you played wrong was the 99 with the flush and straight draws on the board. Otherwise, the only faults I could see with the others was being in them in the first place. Both of those hands would require a lot of aligning of the stars before I'd play them, but I'm still a weak/tight player so take that for what it's worth. Well, that was long winded. Sorry for dragging it out. Now I have to get back to work. GL

Klopzi said...

There's nothing worse than losing to the same guy. With my play last night though, it could've been anyone.

My 99 hand was ok until the turn. At that point, I'm most likely done with the hand. Time to see the showdown for cheap or drop the hand like a bad habit. Villain showed an Ax of clubs - he was on a pure draw on the flop. Well, he hit and I paid him off when I shouldn't have.

In the second hand (76s), there was a fish in the hand and it was me. Although I flopped a great hand, I really didn't have odds to play this hand in the first place.

The same thing happened with the J8s. You play weak hands pre-flop and can't play them aggressively enough post-flop because they are garbage hands.

In the future, I'll just tighten up, play the fit or fold style of poker that got me where I am. If I can't raise with the hand, I shouldn't be playing it.

We'll see if it pays dividends tonight.

drewspop said...

Wow, I missed those beatings you took. Instead, I played the role of Donkey at the table we were at. Glad to help out.