If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

Stages of a Poker Blogger (Part 2)

I have a ways to go before I'm able to complete my "Stages of a Poker Blogger" series. Honestly, I'm writing this based solely on my experiences so far and from what I've read on some other blogs. However, I believe I've entered Stage 7 and it's gonna be a fun one...

Stage 7: What's happening?
Stage 6 was a rough one. I remember the feeling that I had regarding poker and I didn't like it. I wanted to get good at poker, I wanted to play poker: I just couldn't get myself excited about it.

Then, over the Christmas holidays, I started to feel it. Kinda like "feeling the force", just not as gay (actually, this is a poker blog which makes it all the more gay). I was playing SNGs and it all seemed pretty easy. I didn't need great cards to win - I just needed to play my game and the money would come.

This stage that I'm in right now has shown a marked improvement in my play and in my ability to analyze my play on and off the tables. I've found myself thinking critically about plays and coming up with conclusions as to what I should and should not have done. Perhaps my analysis is not always spot on, but that will come in later stages. What is important is that I like to play poker again.

This stage also seems to come with a renewed interest in learning. In my case, it's reading more blogs and reading books. It's watching poker on TV and trying to pick up anything I can that will help my game. In fact, this interest has rubbed off on my wife who can now watch a WSOP circuit event and matter-of-factly state that so and so is obviously bluffing and then go on to list the tells through use of my PVR's pause and rewind functionality.

As part of the learning process, I think bloggers in this stage also feel like giving back to the community by providing advice on their blogs. Myself, I seem to provide a good mix of obvious advice coupled with some really bad advice. The good advice gets more people playing and the bad advice lets me win more often. I'm kidding of course - I do believe that my bad advice is good advice at the time. That's why my bankroll doesn't really go up all that quickly.

Even though much of my advice is probably wrong when viewed by those in the know, I think it does help newer players grasp certain key elements of the game by presenting them in a manner more suitable to the stakes and the games they're playing. At this point, my blog is mainly here for my own introspection into my game and to illicit a willingness to play and learn in others...Actually, my blog is mainly here to promote the affiliated sites that I've listed all over the place and to get people to give me Amazon.ca click-throughs but I'm hoping you won't hold that against me.

Although my game has improved as of late, I know that the stage following this one will be marked by a huge leap in my abilities at the table. Either that or the dreaded plateau stage. A plateau stage is much like a hiatus stage - it's just a matter of how much time is spent playing poker. A poker blogger on hiatus plays little poker and avoids writing anything in the blog until all the tilty feelings go away. A plateau involves lots of poker that goes nowhere coupled with infrequent blog entries all saying the same thing: "I don't know what's wrong lately? I just can't seem to..."

In either case, marked improvement or plateau, I'm not in a hurry.

For those out there reading this, I just hope that by reading what I have to write, you'll start to feel the pull that poker holds over many of those who play. It's more than just chips and cards, more than the Guiness and SoCo consumed while playing, it's more than the money won or lost.

It's about patience required to sit at a table for hours and do absolutely nothing...then write about it.

It's about learning all that you can then taking that misinterpreted information and writing about it.

It's about the drive to be better than everyone else and not just the donkeys at the nickel and dime NL ring games. If you do well, you write about it. If you're the donkey, you lie about it.

It's about the heart required to play the game when everything's on the line and your only options are to fold or push it all in one last time - followed by the desire to write about it regardless of how it all turned out.

Lastly, it's about the love of the game and trying to share that with your readers and with those you're robbing blind at the tables. If you don't love the game, I guarantee that you'll end up a loser at the tables and you'll lose your readership. And we all know that without readership, you'll never get anyone to sign up with the many wonderful affiliates advertised all throughout your site!

And so, I will continue to grow as a player and as a poker blogger (and as an affiliate pimp). I'd say that I can't wait to start playing in the bigger games, but that's not true. My career thus far has exemplified a certain amount of patience coupled with a certain fear or unwillingness to push myself as far as I could go. At least I can write about it; it brings some comfort knowing that no matter what, there will always be a select group of people who've wasted a portion of their lives reading my gay blog.

4 comments:

drewspop said...

More good stuff. Also, thanks for the link!

Klopzi said...

Thank you, and my pleasure.

huma said...

I do very poorly for hours and then write about it. Kind of like a teenage girl writing page after page in a diary about how some guy doesn't like her. It's a form of self reflection and hopefully it'll help me score more guys in the future. Or dollars. Either way.

I clicked through! But I'll be damned if I'm gonna buy anything.

Klopzi said...

I know the feeling about doing poorly. My bankroll took a small hit this weekend and my game's been...off, for lack of a better word.

Oh well, time heals all wounds...or so they say.