If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

Good birthday weekend, bad poker weekend...

The title of this post sums it up. I had a great long weekend spending time with my wife, friends, and family. I had so much to eat that it's almost disgusting (gaining 5 lbs. in four days can't be good for me) and I had a little to drink on Friday night. But you're not here to hear about how much ice cream cake I can eat in one sitting or how I ate my own weight in bacon on Saturday (my wife is the greatest!). What you want is to hear about how I crashed and burned at the tables; if that is the case, you're gonna like this post.

It all started on Friday night as I jumped on the exercise bike in preparation for all the eating that was to take place that evening. I thought it'd be a good idea to fire up Interpoker for some 0.50/1.00 action.

Long story short - I made the mistake of playing at a table with a maniac. Every hand was raised pre-flop and he would bet or raise at almost every opportunity. When I picked up AA on my second hand at the table, I thought I was golden.

I re-raised the maniac, got cold-called by the button, maniac caps it, and both myself and the button call. Three way pot. Flop comes T 8 4. Perfect! Maniac checks, I bet and the button raises?! When the maniac re-raises making it two bets to me, I should have folded. Instead, I call and the button calls.

Turn is a 4. Maniac bets, I raise trying to isolate, but the button won't play along. He raises it and the maniac caps it. Now, you're probably thinking, "Klopzi, for the love of fuck, please tell me you dropped those aces like the Sens dropped the Leafs this weekend!" (sorry, big Sens fan and I hate the Leafs).

Well, not only did I not drop my aces, but I capped that mofo and both the button and the maniac call.

River is a blank. Maniac checks, I bet (seemingly forgetting the old adage of "Don't bet if a worse hand will fold but a better hand will call or raise), and both players call. I'm just lucky they didn't raise...

Well, the maniac won with his J4s, giving him trip 4s. The button was holding a T8o and had hit two pair on the flop. So basically, I was playing from behind the whole time. Pathetic...that hand cost me far more than it should have.

By the time my hour of cycling was up, I was only down 11 BBs by virtue of some solid play and some lucky cards. After the aces debacle, I had been down 25 BBs.

Later on Friday evening, full of Lone Star and booze, I sat down to play some $5 NL at TigerGaming hoping to make back the $11 I'd lost earlier. Although I didn't lose any money, I was only up $2 after an hour of play. I did, however, lose money on Saturday when my pocket kings ran into rockets for the 4th or 5th time in two weeks. Can I get the odds on that?

I also played 5 SNGs this weekend with horrific results. I placed third once and came in 6th or 7th in the other four. My piss-poor results were due to some weak-tight play on my part, coupled with some bad luck. I can't describe it any other way. In all the SNGs, my opponents were folding to my good hands and re-raising my bad hands. And there is nothing worse than sitting in level 5 and getting blinded away as you catch strings of 63o and 82s.

So, as you can see in my sidenav, I'm now down for the month both in terms of my poker goals and my weight loss goal. Sweet!

I think I'm going to take the night off from poker for the next couple days. By Thursday, we'll see where my confidence is at. I'm hoping that my game picks up again - I hate playing when I'm afraid to lose.

That's not to say that I won't be posting though. I'm sure I'll come up with something poker-ish to write about. Maybe later I'll describe some of my recent PS2 accomplishments. Don't worry - I'll make sure that I title the post in such a way that people looking to read my gay poker blog content aren't mistakenly forced to read my gay videogame blog content.

No comments: