If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

PS2 Wish List and The Brenes Brothers

Before moving off topic to video game related material again (I know this is supposed to be a poker blog), I wanted to comment on two recent WPT Season 3 episodes I watched.

The first was a Caribbean Classic one with Mike Matusow, Layne Flack and Erick Brenes at the final table. I was cheering for Layne Flack and was deeply disturbed by Erick Brenes's win. Erick seemed to win the thing through luck alone - at least that's how the producers of the show wanted it to appear. On numerous occasion, Erick made bad all-in calls and managed to get lucky each time. Sure, many of the calls resulted in 50/50 chances, but who wants to gamble away their entire tournament on a 50/50 chance?

Anyway, a few weeks later I watch the celebrity classic WPT event and see Alex Brenes sitting at the final table. I knew right away that he'd win when I saw Chris Ferguson make a bad all-in move with his pocket 4s against Alex Brenes's KK. When Brenes, with AT, eventually knocked Jesus (holding AA) out, it was finished. Seriously, that family must have done something good for somebody because karma has sure paid them back in spades.

I guess I'm just jealous since my luck seems to have left me...

--

Games! Games! Games!

After careful review of the games out there right now, filtering out games that are too crap-tastic, too anime, too boring, and just too over-done, I've come up with the following list of must-play games for me (I've included the ratings received by X-Play, whose opinion I respect since they seem to be pretty hard on most games, and GameSpot, because they've never served me wrong as long as I stay away from any games rated less than 8.0.


  1. Shadow of the Colossus
    This game has a guy riding aroudn on a horse, finding giant nasties, crawling up their bodies and stabbing them in the head while black goo gushes out all over the place. Yes please!
    X-Play: 4/5
    GameSpot: 8.7/10


  2. Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
    Rated as the best RPG of 2004 by X-Play, they describe it as:
    Call it the RPG for the GTA generation. No console RPG to date offers this many choices, this much customization, or so much dark and gritty style. And if anyone pays attention to its content, it might create a little controversy, as well.

    Sounds good to me. I haven't found any used copies of this game since Atlus (publisher) printed out fewer copies than they thought they'd need. So, I'll have to get it used for $65 from my local Microplay. I hate paying full price for games, but this one sounds like it's really worth it!
    X-Play: 5/5
    GameSpot: 8.5/10


  3. Silent Hill 3
    Due to my recent time with RE 4, I thought I'd give this puppy a try. It's been rated quite highly and X-Play has the following to say about the game:
    If you're a basically logical type but a butterfingers with a weapon while under combat pressure, "Silent Hill 3" is watching out for you.

    That's me alright...we'll see how well I do.
    If you're an especially sensitive, impressionable type, stay the hell away from this game, because it will worm its hellish images into your nightmares.

    This last quote scares me a little, but I'll hold to my guns and play this game...
    Monsters are everywhere, and not just your garden-variety videogame monsters but really nasty-looking ones that your eye can't even categorize. "Silent Hill" creature designer Ito Masahiro knows what's disturbing, and even the way some of the game's monstrosities move is just scary, bad, and wrong.

    This last quote horrifies me. The movie "The Ring" gave me nightmares for a year when I saw it (I was 28 when I saw it...) because of the freaky way that the little girl moves - I'm guessing that the monsters in SH3 make the little ring girl look like fucking Bambi.
    X-Play: 5/5
    GameSpot: 8.4/10

  4. Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves
    Sly 2 was just plain great and I can't wait to play the third installment in this series!
    X-Play: 5/5
    GameSpot: 8.4/10


Other than those games, there are a list of other that I will try once those four are done. These include: Shen Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2, Jak 3, Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal, Psychonauts, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, and Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly.

I'm hoping to avoid paying more than $30 for any of these games (except for SMT: Nocturne). I know for a fact that MGS3 is only $20 at Microplay and SH3 should be no more than $30 as well.

So many games, so little time...

--

Fun fact: since I started talking about video games on this blog, my readership seems to have dropped. That's right, people are finally starting to recognize this site for it's quality content and excellent writing.

No comments: