If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

But nothing beats pocket kings!

I was a little too busy last night to get much playing in. In fact, I played only one SNG at InterPoker. There were a few warning signs that I would not do well this time around:


  • There is a guy playing, limpflop1 if memory serves me correct (that expression so makes me think of Iron Chef now...if you've seen it, you'll know what I mean, otherwise screw you...), and he is an obvious fish. However, he's a fish with attitude! He's calling everyone a fish and pissing away his chips. He almost loses it when his AQ loses to another guy's AK. He calls the guy a "fukin fish" and a bunch of other names. I can only smile and silently mock the stupid prick. Unfortunately, this brings the ire of the Poker Gods my way and karma is ready to take a chunk out of my ass.

  • A player two seats to my left, wimpy something or other, gets rivered when he and another guy both push on the turn. Wimpy's way ahead with his set of queens against the other guys set of tens - until the river when the case T hits. Poor guy...he takes it all in stride and says nothing. Now that's stoic...

  • Two hands later, Wimpy gets knocked out when he's all in on the turn with the broadway straight and his caller has two pair Kings and Jacks. Unfortunately, another jack hits the turn and Wimpy is rivered again and out in 8th.
So, how did things go for me? Well, the good news is that I picked up cowboys and won a $600 pot. The CO raised to 5xBB to $150 and I re-raised to $300 from the SB. We're heads up and the flop comes down with a two-flush on the board. I push and CO folds - I'm guessing he had AK or AQ.

The very next hand, I pick up kings again on the button. Two callers to me and I put out a $150 bet and only the chip leader calls. Flop comes 2h 5d 6h. I bet the pot ($330) but the stubborn chip leader calls. Hmmm.... Turn is the 3d. Now I'm thinking: What are the chances that he called my 5x BB PF raise with an A4 or any other x4 hand? I'm guessing that there's no way and I push my last $880 into the $990 pot. Chip leader insta-calls and shows me the 7d8d - he's got 15 outs to beat me. The river brings the 9h and I'm done like dinner.

So, what mistakes do I think I made? First, I should've raised more PF since I'd just finished stealing the pot prior to this one (well, stealing in the eyes of my opponents). I had not yet shown down a single hand but won a three or four pots, so anybody would've been suspicious. My second mistake was not pushing on the flop. If I'm going to win this pot, I can't rely on my opponent's laying down their hands even when they don't have odds to call. Maybe the chip leader was relying on implied odds and I guess he was getting them seeing as how I was playing aggressively and his hand was well disguised due to his PF call with only a 78s.

If I'd won the hand, I would've coasted into the money instead of being knocked out in 6th spot. As it stands though, I'm not that upset with my performance. I mean, I had about a 70% chance of doubling up on the end there and he hit his card. I'll take those odds any day.

--

I took a quick look around for some play money Omaha games last night, just to get a taste of the game. Unfortunately, PokerRoom had no Omaha that I could find and Interpoker has some play money Omaha ring games but only one player was seated. I don't want to practice heads-up Omaha. I may check out Full Tilt or Poker Stars to see if they have any play money Omaha SNGs. I'm anxious to broaden my skill base and there's nothing like playing poker's version of russian roulette to get the old heart pumpin'.

--

Well, the Xbox 360 launched today and after a quick look around, it looks like they're all sold out. I know I may have left it to the last minute, but I wasn't about to spend $500 on a console without first hearing some reviews. When I got to work, I took a quick look at GameSpot's reviews of the Xbox 360 and the games released along with it and got pretty excited when most of the released games were given top marks by the editors.

Anyway, looks like Best Buy may be my best bet once they receive more stock - at least two weeks away. Shit...guess that means more time for poker.

--

Here's a little joke, courtesy of a friend C. -
I was feeling a bit lonely so I decided life would be more fun if I had
a pet. So, I went to the pet shop and told the owner that I wanted to
buy an unusual pet. After some discussion, I finally bought a Centipede
which came in a little white box to use for his house.

I took the box back home, found a good location for it, and decided I
would start off by taking my new pet to the pub to have a drink. So, I
asked the centipede in the box, "Would you like to go down the Queen's
Head with me and have a beer?" But there was no answer.

This bothered me a bit, but I waited a few minutes and then asked him
again, "How about going to the pub for a drink?" But again, there was no
answer from my new friend and pet. So, I waited a few minutes more,
thinking about the situation.

I decided to ask him one more time; this time putting my face up against
the centipede's house and shouting, "Hey, in there! Would you like to go
to The Queen's Head and have a drink with me?"

A little voice came out of the box:
I heard you the first time! I'm putting my f*cking shoes on!


No comments: