If you'd like to advertise on this site, please email me to discuss details and rates.

Saturday and No Excuses

Saturday was even worse than Friday. I'm thinking that I've learned my lessons from Friday night and I'm ready to win some $$$ at the tables.

I open two tables and started playing at 1:00 in the afternoon. In the first hour, I've cleared another $10 in bonus and I'm up $24.25 at one of my tables (+ 12 BBs!!). However, I end up down $34.25 at the other table. At least I'm even in terms of cold, hard cash. The tables break up (I don't like playing short-handed - not good enough yet) and I'm stuck looking for two more tables to play.

After about 15 minutes, I manage to find some more people willing to take my money. Over the next hour, I manage to lose another $38. At this point, I shut down my laptop and I'm done for the day. Another 24 BBs lost at Absolute, putting my two day total at -44 BBs. I've gained $30 in bonus over that time, so I'm really only down a pathetic $60.

What went wrong? Here are four hands that cost me $37 due to my stupid play or, in the case of one hand, some pretty unlikely holdings on the part of my opponents.

Hand 1: Never fall in love with your hand...
STAGE #205674386: HOLDEM NORMAL $1/$2 - 2005-10-15 14:28:29 (ET)
Table: BRADBURN RD (Real Money) Seat #1 is the dealer
BUFFBRAD54 - Posts small blind $0.50
HERO - Posts big blind $1
T75TRC1 - Posts $1
*** POCKET CARDS ***
Dealt to HERO [6s 6d]
SLEEVED - Folds
ANDYNOISE - Calls $1
FN0RD - Folds
HAIRBALL36 - Folds
ROMMELWOOD - Folds
T75TRC1 - Checks
STARZ555 - Raises $2 to $2
BUFFBRAD54 - Folds
HERO - Calls $1
ANDYNOISE - Calls $1
T75TRC1 - Calls $1
*** FLOP *** [6h 10d 9s]
HERO - Checks (Yep, this was stupid...should have bet)
ANDYNOISE - Checks
T75TRC1 - Checks
STARZ555 - Bets $1
HERO - Calls $1
ANDYNOISE - Folds
T75TRC1 - Calls $1
*** TURN *** [6h 10d 9s] [Js]
HERO - Checks
T75TRC1 - Bets $2
STARZ555 - Calls $2
HERO - Raises $4 to $4 (This was even more stupid - folding is the proper choice here)
T75TRC1 - Raises $4 to $6
STARZ555 - Raises $6 to $8
HERO - Calls $4 (Man, what was I smoking?)
T75TRC1 - Calls $2
*** RIVER *** [6h 10d 9s Js] [4c]
HERO - Checks
T75TRC1 - Checks
STARZ555 - Checks
*** SHOW DOWN ***
HERO - Shows [6s 6d] (Three of a kind, sixes)
T75TRC1 - Shows [8d Qs] (Straight, eight to queen)
STARZ555 - Mucks
T75TRC1 Collects $33.75 from main pot

I don't know what happened here. When I hit my set on the flop, I failed to see the danger in letting someone get a free card with board showing T96. At this point, any 7, 8, J, or Q on the turn is really scary and I do not want to let anyone see the turn for free. When a J comes on the turn, and there is a bet and a call to me, I should have folded - chances are good that I'm beaten by a straight. I raise...whatever... When my raise is raised and re-raised back to me, I should have folded! No excuses here! I royally screwed myself here by not betting the flop and then by not folding to two obviously better hands. I fell in love with my set and I paid the price ($11 to be exact).

Hand 2: Bad luck at heads-up...again

STAGE #205681159: HOLDEM NORMAL $1/$2 - 2005-10-15 14:42:05 (ET)
Table: CRAWFORD ST. (Real Money) Seat #8 is the dealer
SHANTI - Posts small blind $0.50
MUGGSY12 - Posts big blind $1
*** POCKET CARDS ***
Dealt to HERO [As Qh]
SHAUN10 - Folds
SEMPER__FI - Folds
TIEGUY - Raises $2 to $2
BUFFBRAD54 - Folds
HERO - Calls $2
SLEEVED - Folds
SHANTI - Folds
MUGGSY12 - Folds
*** FLOP *** [Ac Kc 5h]
TIEGUY - Checks
HERO - Bets $1
TIEGUY - Raises $2 to $2
HERO - Raises $2 to $3
TIEGUY - Calls $1
*** TURN *** [Ac Kc 5h] [3d]
TIEGUY - Checks
HERO - Bets $2
TIEGUY - Raises $4 to $4 (Here's where I should be worried...)
HERO - Calls $2
*** RIVER *** [Ac Kc 5h 3d] [8h]
TIEGUY - Bets $2
HERO - Calls $2
*** SHOW DOWN ***
TIEGUY - Shows [5d 5s] (Three of a kind, fives)
HERO - Mucks
TIEGUY Collects $22.50 from main pot

First off, TIEGUY was a loose, weak player. I'd seen him play on through hands clinging to his bottom pair as if it were the nuts. When I hit top pair heads-up, I thought I had him. However, when he raised me on the turn, I knew I was dead in the water. However, I had to call it to the river at this point since TIEGUY may have done the same with any ace [mind you, he was not an aggressive player, so I could have saved myself 2 BB by folding to his turn raise]. This hand was the first of a rush for TIEGUY where he won 3 or 4 in a row by flopping sets, trips, a full-boat and a flush.

Hand 3: Big slick sucks...

STAGE #205668077: HOLDEM NORMAL $1/$2 - 2005-10-15 14:15:35 (ET)
Table: BRADBURN RD (Real Money) Seat #6 is the dealer
HAIRBALL36 - Posts small blind $0.50
ROMMELWOOD - Posts big blind $1
*** POCKET CARDS ***
Dealt to HERO [Kh Ad]
FDLM - Calls $1
STARZ555 - Folds
BUFFBRAD54 - Calls $1
HERO - Raises $2 to $2
SLEEVED - Folds
DERICN - Folds
FN0RD - Folds
HAIRBALL36 - Folds
ROMMELWOOD - Folds
FDLM - Calls $1
BUFFBRAD54 - Calls $1
*** FLOP *** [Jd Kd 3d]
FDLM - Checks
BUFFBRAD54 - Checks
HERO - Checks (With the 3 flush, I was worried about betting - I should have though...)
*** TURN *** [Jd Kd 3d] [Qh]
FDLM - Bets $2
BUFFBRAD54 - Raises $4 to $4
HERO - Calls $4 (I should have folded here - I'm obviously behind to a flush)
FDLM - Folds
*** RIVER *** [Jd Kd 3d Qh] [Ks]
BUFFBRAD54 - Bets $2
HERO - Calls $2 (Pot's too big to fold - and I just caught trips beating a possible two pair)
*** SHOW DOWN ***
BUFFBRAD54 - Shows [8d 7d] (Flush, king high)
HERO - Mucks
BUFFBRAD54 Collects $20.50 from main pot

Seriously, who plays 87s from early position? Well, I made two mistakes here. First, I should have bet the flop. The second mistake was cold-calling the raise on the turn. I made this mistake a few times on Friday and Saturday: that's what happens when you fall in love with your hand. Top pair is a good hand in a 3-way pot - but not when there is this much action. Live and learn I guess...or in my case, live and live again until you're broke...

Hand 4: Slow playing MoFo!

STAGE #205644208: HOLDEM NORMAL $1/$2 - 2005-10-15 13:24:07 (ET)
Table: BERRIAN AVE (Real Money) Seat #1 is the dealer
SPADESARMADA - Posts small blind $0.50
ROMMELWOOD - Posts big blind $1
*** POCKET CARDS ***
Dealt to HERO [Kc Qc]
BRITMAN45 - Calls $1
CBOT - Calls $1
WYERN - Folds
MZA_1977 - Folds
HERO - Raises $2 to $2
AZHAVELINE - Folds
SPADESARMADA - Folds
ROMMELWOOD - Folds
BRITMAN45 - Calls $1
CBOT - Calls $1
*** FLOP *** [Ah 7s 6s]
BRITMAN45 - Checks
CBOT - Checks
HERO - Bets $1
BRITMAN45 - Calls $1
CBOT - Calls $1
*** TURN *** [Ah 7s 6s] [6d]
BRITMAN45 - Checks
CBOT - Checks
HERO - Checks
*** RIVER *** [Ah 7s 6s 6d] [Qd]
BRITMAN45 - Bets $2
CBOT - Raises $4 to $4
HERO - Calls $4 (Again - wtf!? I've gotta stop calling these crazy ass raises!)
BRITMAN45 - Calls $2
*** SHOW DOWN ***
CBOT - Shows [6c 6h] (Four of a kind, sixes)
HERO - Mucks
BRITMAN45 - Shows [Kd Ks] (Two Pairs, kings and sixes)
CBOT Collects $21.50 from main pot

First off, not much you can do against 4 of a kind. But I should not have cold-called the $4 on the river. I mean, there's an overcard to my queens and if anyone has a 6 (for example, the guy who just raised the damn river bet!) I'm dead in the water. What bothers me more than anything is the fact that the guy with trips did not bet the turn (why do people keep missing bets like this? To piss me off I think...I hate thinking my hand is good then suddenly learning that I've been a monster dog the whole f**in' hand!). Another thing - and this is good advice for everyone out there: do not limp from early position with pocket kings! You are screwing yourself over by not getting as much money in the pot as possible and by opening the door to a big multi-way pot that potentially devalues your holding. Kings do play well in short-handed or multi-way pots, but the less players, the better the chance of winning. Anyway, I was really pissed off with this hand when I realized that both players had me soundly beaten!

With all my grumbling and shitty play, I thought I'd throw in one hand where I won. Not only did I win but it is the largest single pot that I've won to date! Yay for me! By the way, is it spelled Yay or Yeah or Yea? Is saying Yay a little too gay? Without further ado...

Hand 5: Suck it you big bunch of slow-playing, rock-garden pricks!

STAGE #205658716: HOLDEM NORMAL $1/$2 - 2005-10-15 13:55:52 (ET)
Table: BERRIAN AVE (Real Money) Seat #6 is the dealer
FN0RD - Posts small blind $0.50
HERO - Posts big blind $1
KRAKALAK - sitout (wait for BB)
*** POCKET CARDS ***
Dealt to HERO [Js Ad]
SEMPER__FI - Calls $1
SPADESARMADA - Folds
ROMMELWOOD - Folds
CBOT - Calls $1
WYERN - Folds
FN0RD - Folds
HERO - Raises $1 to $2
SEMPER__FI - Calls $1
CBOT - Calls $1
*** FLOP *** [Jh Jd 6c]
HERO - Checks (I've got an absolute monster - I can't bet here with only 3 people in the pot)
SEMPER__FI - Checks
CBOT - Checks
*** TURN *** [Jh Jd 6c] [Qh]
HERO - Bets $2
SEMPER__FI - Raises $4 to $4
CBOT - Calls $4
HERO - Raises $4 to $6 (See - this his how you make money - it's called raising!)
SEMPER__FI - Calls $2
CBOT - Raises $4 to $8 (That's right CBOT - you're mine now...)
HERO - Calls $2
SEMPER__FI - Calls $2
*** RIVER *** [Jh Jd 6c Qh] [9s]
HERO - Checks (Again - CBOT is really aggressive - prepare to check-raise)
SEMPER__FI - Checks
CBOT - Bets $2
HERO - Raises $4 to $4 (Check and mate...)
SEMPER__FI - Folds
CBOT - Calls $2
*** SHOW DOWN ***
HERO - Shows [Js Ad] (Three of a kind, jacks)
CBOT - Mucks
HERO Collects $36.75 from main pot

First off, There was a chance I was beaten by a KT on the river. But I knew that my opponents did not hold this. I don't think anyone is crazy enough to cap turn betting on a draw. Maybe someone had pocket queens? Again, no one re-raised preflop or bet out on the turn, so it was very unlikely (at Absolute though, anything is possible...). If someone had the queens, then I was just not meant to win the hand. I just wanted to include this hand to show that you can win a hell of a lot more by betting your good hands than you can by slow-playing them. I'm an aggressive player, for the most part, so when I'm betting, it's hard to tell whether I'm betting due to my position, due to my opponents' passivity, due to my quality holding, or due to a draw.

All in all though, Saturday was crap. I was now down 79 BBs at $1/$2. I was fed up with Absolute and pissed off in general at my play and everything else.

Luckily, my wife and I had friends over that night and I drowned my sorrows in cheap beer (Lakeport isn't that bad, really). I also ate my own body weight in chips and donuts...I really felt that the next morning...

No comments: